- Newswise — Falls Church, Virginia. Sep. 22, 2012 –An iPhone and specially-designed image analysis app is able to diagnose and manage the treatment of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, according to new data presented at the 82nd Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association (ATA) in Québec City,
- Dear Doctor K: I recently had my cholesterol checked, and it turns out I have high triglyceride levels. What can I do about it?
Dear Reader: A “cholesterol test” really measures three different kinds of cholesterol and one other type of fat,
- Marginal Vitamin B-6 Deficiency Decreases Plasma (n-3) and (n-6) PUFA Concentrations in Healthy Men and Women.
Zhao M, Lamers Y, Ralat MA, Coats BS, Chi YY, Muller KE, Bain JR, Shankar MN, Newgard CB, Stacpoole PW, Gregory JF 3rd.
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department,
- Painkiller overdoses kill more than cocaine and heroin combined, yet there are few prevention programs
Posted on September 20, 2012 by Stone Hearth News
Prescription painkillers are responsible for more fatal overdoses in the United States than heroin and cocaine combined.
- SAN DIEGO, Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Do you ever walk into a room and wonder why you are there? Are you frustrated because you sometimes can’t recall names of people, but you recognize faces? Do you ever forget where you put your wallet,
- A leading group of physicians who advise on women’s health has issued new guidelines recommending for the first time that doctors offer intrauterine devices (IUDs) and implantable contraception — methods commonly referred to as long-acting reversible contraception — to teenage patients.
An IUD is a small device placed in the uterus to prevent pregnancy.
- Pulm Med. 2012;2012:868294. Epub 2012 Sep 3.
Cigarette and waterpipe smoking decrease respiratory quality of life in adults: results from a national cross-sectional study.
Joseph S, Pascale S, Georges K, Mirna W.
Faculty of Medical Sciences,
- Could a capsule of insulin crystals a day stop the development of type 1 diabetes? There are indications that this could be the case. In the international TrialNet study*, which follows relatives of individuals with type 1 diabetes, researchers are investigating whether oral insulin could prevent or delay the disease.
- What is Arsenic?
Arsenic is a chemical element present in the environment from both natural and human sources, including erosion of arsenic-containing rocks, volcanic eruptions, contamination from mining and smelting ores, and previous or current use of arsenic-containing pesticides.
What is the FDA recommending to consumers about eating rice and rice products?
- WELLESLEY, Mass., Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ – A study authored by leading Wellesley College economists shows that over time, a recession can have significant, adverse effects on the health of older workers—and in some cases, can cut life expectancy by up to three years.